Sunday, November 14, 2010

#1 - Read one book for each month of the project OUTSIDE of school books - October 2010

For last month (yeah, I know I'm behind), I read The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis - because it was a short novel and I only had like five days of October to finish it in. I also killed two birds in one stone by starting on #38 - Read all the Chronicles of Narnia books (in order of Narnian years!)

The Narnia books have a special place in my heart. My mom used to read the books to my sister Emma when we were growing up - I would listen every now and then, but I was much more interested in watching the BBC video versions after they completed the books. (The Silver Chair was the best one!) So now, as I've gotten older, I find it very sad that I haven't actually read any of them...especially being an English major. Shame on me. 

I finished this book in about a day and a half...I had some time in the library by myself while Tommy (my husband) was at work, so I picked it up and started reading. I must admit,  I found it hard to relate to the juvenility of his narrative style, and for a second I wondered, "What's so good about this series again?" A moment of weakness, I assure you. Because I remembered that, The Magician's Nephew was the sixth Narnia book he wrote and was written as a prequel to The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe (which was the first) - so, when these were published, it would have made more sense to his audience and critics to be kind of aloof...because they already would've known the whole story and all the characters. But it was neat to get to know Digory (the old professor in Lion, Witch & Wardrobe), The Evil Queen Jadis, and Aslan before knowing all the rest of the story. Also, The Magician's Nephew also explains how the lamppost got into Narnia!
As I started reading, I found passages that really shone to me, and it reminded me of C.S. Lewis' mastery of storytelling and understanding of Christ and the overall idea of goodness. My favorite is when the children and their London castaway witness Aslan creating Narnia:
 "Glory be,” said the Caddy. “I’d ha’ been a better man all my life if I’d known there were things like this."
Bottom line: if you haven't read it, read it. Educate yourself. For Aslan! (rawr)

No comments:

Post a Comment